4.14.2004

"Freedom is the Almighty's gift to every man and woman in this world." -- So spoke our Zealot-in-Chief last night, in an embarrasing hour of lamely attempting to justify the Iraq war. His hollow opening remarks gave way to a series of truly tough questions from the press corps, to which W. responded in his usual maddening way, with rambling bromides about "taking a stand on terr'." The low point, to me, came when asked what he might have done differently in Afghanistan and Iraq knowing what he knows now (that's a big assumption right there, but anyway...), and he literally drew a blank: "I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference with all the pressure of trying to come up with an answer, but it hasn't yet . . . You know, I hope I don't want to sound like I've made no mistakes. I'm confident I have. I just haven't — you just put me under the spot here and maybe I'm not quick, as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one."

Wow. Maybe he should try reading a newspaper or going online -- there are plenty of people pointing out his mistakes for him.

UPDATE: Check out NewYorkish for a gallery of Presidential facial expressions last night: "From Confused to Angry...Then Back to Confused."

No comments: