10.24.2003

"[Hazing] ranges from eating disgusting foods to being buried naked in the snow..." ...and don't let's forget dying in an SUV rollover. Six blindfolded pledges and four Sigma Kappa Omega sisters were stuffed into a Jeep Grand Cherokee (which seats five) when the driver, Sigma Kappa Omega sister Nicole Dalton, 20, allegedly jerked the steering wheel on a rainy road Monday night. Plymouth (N.H.) State University student (and pledge) Kelly Nester was thrown from the car and killed.
Your e'er faithful fill-in blogger, Nat Woodward, pledged a fraternity in college...for about an hour and a half. I took a blindfolded ride in the back of an Econoline cargo van and lived to tell the tale. Later that night I realized all this hazing was ridiculous, I was already going to all their frat parties anyway, I had a ton of friends without wearing a cool jacket, so why was I putting myself through this? Somehow I didn't feel as welcome at the frat parties after that night.
SIDE NOTE: In an unfortunate case of bad luck, when I first visited the Boston.com story, the pop-up advertisment was for a Jeep dealership. Fortunately for them, the ad reloads at random with other sponsors too...

No comments: