12.04.2003

Like anyone cares, the Grammy nominations were announced today, and once again they offer up a mind-numbing blend of frivolous and serious choices. I think the Rap Album category is the most exciting, with five strong artists (Missy Elliott, 50 Cent, Jay-Z, Outkast and The Roots)...the music snob in me leans towards The Roots, yet who can resist that 50 Cent lyric, "I'll do whatever it takes, I love you like a fat kid loves cake"? And then there's Missy, arguably the most influential of the five...but then Jay-Z's supposed to be retiring/pouting over his lack o' respect, and Outkast are probably just as genre-pushing as The Roots, and with better clothes...it's a toss-up! Meanwhile over in the sad, sad Album of the Year category, we have the possibility of these fools beating out The White Stripes, gaaahhh! I'd rather Justin Timberlake win than a fake-goth pseudo-Christian band. My final $0.02: much as I loved "8 Mile" that song is old news, Eminem, and thus I am all about Beyonce for Record of the Year. Once again, like anyone cares.

No comments: