12.12.2003

I'm less than enthusiastic about today's Friday Five...but it could just be my Friday Malaise talking...

1. Do you enjoy the cold weather and snow for the holidays? "For the holidays," yes -- because I usually don't have to go anywhere in particular, I'm already in New Jersey and freed from shoveling out my car.

2. What is your ideal holiday celebration? I think a good holiday involves three different levels of celebrating, whether it's Christmas or your birthday or the Fourth of July -- enjoying it by yourself, with one special person, and with a huge gathering of friends and family.

3. Do you do have any holiday traditions? Last year, my sister Sara made me an exact replica of the felt Advent calendar we used when we were kids, the best and craftiest gift. So now I have that hanging in my apartment. Other than that, we are very loose with the whole "presents on Christmas Eve vs. Christmas morning" thing, we get to do some of each, ha ha. Actually my parents are on a very anti-commerical streak with Christmas these last few years (my dad tends to speechify on Nicaraguan orphans and the lessons of St. Basil, not so jolly), so we usually just get one small thing from them, and the fun stuff we (the kids) give to each other.

4. Do you do anything to help the needy? This question irks me -- is there some Dickensian law that designates December as the official Month To Care About the Needy? GRRRRRRR...I think I (and all of us) could stand to do a lot more for the needy thoughout the year, frankly. But at the holidays, yes, I'm involved with Christmas in the City -- and you can be too, it's next Sunday, email me if you want to volunteer! :-)

5. What one gift would you like for yourself? Leaving aside those big-ticket dream items (financial windfall, fancy gadgets, a pony), and the existential ones (a real job, time to myself, inner peace), I guess I'd really like a set of these. It's the perfect gift: beautiful, useful, collectible, and far too costly to buy myself. :P

No comments: