2.01.2005

I spent a weekend out in bucolic Berkshire County (actually referred to as "the Shire" by some locals) with my mom and sisters, and I recommend it if you're in the area. We stayed at the Red Lion Inn, which was sort of like sleep-away camp in an antiques store, and took in some crazy contemporary art at MassMoCA, the coolest place by far in Massachusetts. There was a deep quilt of snow everywhere, and we spent two long afternoons peoplewatching in front of the inn fireplace...spoiled only a little by some obnoxious yuppies from NYC, swigging apres-ski Bloody Marys and yammering loudly about themselves ("We went to Telluride at Christmas on our friend's chartered plane...," "I blew out my knee playing volleyball at Brown...," "I love Caller ID, I just love it!," "That new Mexican place on 96th has the best margaritas, with really cheap tequila...," blah blah blah blah blah ad infinitum). If you can avoid this, so much the better.

No comments: