9.22.2004

"Our men look like inmates only recently released from federal penitentiaries, forced to wear clothing thirty years out of style." -- Witty piece on the sartorially-challenged college professor, among whom I hope I should not count myself (I'll go with the "painfully pedantic grammarians," thanks). I remember some classics from my higher education: male prof in clogs and silk scarf, those tweed jackets with the elbow patches, Tevas with black socks year-round, and yes, a beret or two. Come to think of it, it's always the men...maybe this author is on to something: "Male professors can wear the same sports jacket or sweater every Tuesday for thirteen weeks and it will pass without comment, whereas if a female professor wears the same suit two times in a row, she will be considered slatternly." Aha!

No comments: