3.07.2005

Ticket Stub: First of all, an idea whose time has come -- The Bad Review Revue, the latest one-line bad movie reviews in convenient list form.

Second, a movie that wouldn't appear on that list -- Finding Neverland, which I saw for the second time with Kim yesterday. I saw it back when it first opened, and I correctly guessed it would reward a repeat viewing. It's even more poignant, if that's possible, and still better at eliciting emotion than a certain tawdry melodrama that won Best Picture. The story is simply told, with just the right touch of magical realism sprinkled over the stellar acting. Kate Winslet is always great, Johnny Depp is I think the most versatile actor in Hollywood, and Julie Christie is excellent as the severe, sad grandmother. But Freddie Highmore steals the movie as the shy, seething Peter: I'm looking forward to seeing him and Depp together again in this! (A)

No comments: