8.02.2006

I hereby poach Kim's High School Meme, go Minutemen!

1. Who were your best friends? Andrea, Traci, & Alissa
2. What sports did you play? Swimming, softball, volleyball & marching band (yes, a sport!). Also did drama, speech & debate, academic tutoring...nerrrrd alert!
3. What kind of car did you drive? Ha! Barely learned to drive, didn't get my license until January of senior year, and never drove anywhere in my parents' legendary '86 Chevy Celebrity wagon.
4. It's Friday night, where were you at? Sleeping over at a friend's, watching movies, calling boys...maybe a little later on going out to a movie or concert, followed by disco fries at a diner!
5. Were you a party animal? Compared to my peers back then, not really; compared to today, I was a nun. Every party I went to was at someone's house, with older siblings and/or parents around, so even if we snuck a beer or something we couldn't get into a car or much trouble.
6. Were you considered a flirt? No way, I was funny and friendly, but also the uptight/judgmental/squeamish one about boys/dating/sex. This persisted until college, when all hell broke loose.
7. Ever skip school? Never a whole a day, though I wanted to (and probably should have) skip my entire senior year, it was so pointless. OTOH it was chock full of electives so I took many a long lunch, i.e. the rest of the day off, spent at a friend's house or eating french fries at the Chinese takeout place across from the library, where I worked.
8. Ever smoke? No.
9. Were you a nerd? Oh hell yeah, I was in the alternative school for gifted nerds from 3rd grade on.
10. Did you get suspended/expelled? No.
11. Can you sing the Alma Mater? There is technically a cheesy ballad for the high school, but my elementary school song is still burned in my brain.
12. Who was your favorite teacher? Ray Aklonis, Jill Palumbo, Lumina Pacheco, Fred Schneider -- all tied.
13. Favorite class? Those taught by #12: Modern European History, Creative Writing, AP English, Speech & Rhetoric.
14. What was your school's full name? Elizabeth High School, aka Big E.
15. School mascot? The Minutemen...and let's not forget the Lady Minutemen.
16. Did you go to the Prom? Not really...not a big deal at my school anyway, out of 700 seniors only half went.
17. If you could go back and do it over, would you? Unless I could re-do it knowing what I know now, even vaguely, about how things turn out, then absolutely not.
18. What do you remember most about graduation? It was on the football field and we were all staring directly into the sun, and thus got matching sunburned cheeks. Also, my stupid white gown was see-thru, it looked like a crappy plastic grocery bag.
19. Favorite memory of your senior year? Stage managing the musical, it was like a fulltime job/get out of class card for months on end.
20. Were you ever posted up on the senior wall? Huh?
21. Did you have a job your senior year? Worked at school as a tutor and at the public library in the children's room.
22. Who did you date? Nobody, but about 80% of my friends were also single, we traveled in a pack.
23. Where did you go most often for lunch? The circular courtyard inside the "donut" of the school building, it was a stepped, cement amphitheater with some grass and trees, very good (or bad) peoplewatching. Lunch consisted of cafeteria tater tots, Diet Coke, and Combos.
24. Have you gained weight since then? Sadly, yes -- even though I eat much better now, I am plumper and I used to think I was plump then! It must have been the walking to and from school...Mom turns out to be right, again.
25. What did you do after graduation? Spent the summer working with ARC and then packed off to Tufts.
26. When did you graduate? 1992...that was last century, people.

3 comments:

Nathaniel Woodward said...

1. Who were your best friends? Brian Dubina, Artur Orbinski, Jason Lycette, Shane Snyder, and Chad Rowe.
2. What sports did you play? No sports. My extra-curriculars were WBMT 88.3FM, plus the plays & musicals.
3. What kind of car did you drive? When I first got my license in junior year, it was a white 1986 Ford Tempo, with the Radio Shack AM/FM cassete deck. Later I downgraded to Dad's 1985 Dodge Caravan (AM/FM only).
5. Were you a party animal? No. I didn't drink until college and barely ever went to parties where any drinking or smoking was going on.
6. Were you considered a flirt? I thought I was a flirt, but I didn't catch on with the girls.
7. Ever skip school? Nope.
8. Ever smoke? No.
9. Were you a nerd? Theater nerd, yes. Academic nerd, no.
10. Did you get suspended/expelled? No, the only trouble I got into was when the admins discovered I had moved out of town before senior year yet I was still attending school. They called me into the principal's office to ask me about it-- I don't know why they didn't just call my folks?
11. Can you sing the Alma Mater? I sang a song onstage at graduation, but I can't recall if it was the alma mater.
12. Who was your favorite teacher? Terry Meinelt, art teacher. No contest. Jean Jarvie gets an honorable mention for putting up with my smartass hijinks through 10 or 11 plays and musicals.
13. Favorite class? Senior year, I had two art classes in a row to begin the day. What a breeze!
14. What was your school's full name? MASCONOMET Regional High School (mass-ko-NOM-et or just MASS-co)
15. School mascot? The Chieftain!
16. Did you go to the Prom? All spring I debated going to the prom or going to a RUSH concert. I was talked into going to the prom at the last minute, and I took this younger girl (junior or sophomore?) Beth Gosbee with me. She fell asleep on the ride home.
17. If you could go back and do it over, would you? No WAY!
18. What do you remember most about graduation? I remember it was a beautiful day: June 1, 1990. The Field House was decorated with my own artwork (photos by request!)
19. Favorite memory of your senior year? I felt like the school was our playground. No pressure, no worries. In retrospect, if the teachers knew they could trust you not to fark around, they let you do whatever you wanted.
22. Who did you date?
I really only 'dated' two girls in high-school, both girlfriends I met while at summer theater camp.
I spent a few weeks fooling around with a sophomore the spring of my senior year, but we only went 'out' once that I remember.

About Kimpossible said...

Um, yeah...1992. I changed it on my blog too. Duh!

emily said...

Hey Nat, what happened to the rest of your answers? And as for #22, ever laid anyone around *here*? :P