8.16.2006

"I also wrote, 'Pesto is the quiche of the 80's.'" -- Let's salute Bruno Kirby, a.k.a. Jess from When Harry Met Sally..., who died of leukemia today. He was one of my absolute favorite character actors, up there with Luis Guzman and Charles Durning, for his ability to spin the straw of a meager role into comedy gold: "There are three kinds of people in this city. One, the guy who makes millions on Wall Street, gets laid in some tower every night. The other is the nutball eating Yankee Doodles on the sidewalk in Times Square. Everybody else? People like me? We are what I like to call...the glue of society!" Can't argue with that.

2 comments:

Nathaniel Woodward said...

In all the MetaFilter and FARK posts about Kriby today, none of them quoted his role in The Freshman. I knew I could count on you!

Lt. Hauk: I understand you're pretty funny as a dee-jay and, well, comedy is kind of a hobby of mine. Well, actually, it's a little more than just a hobby, Reader's Digest is considering publishing two of my jokes.
Adrian Cronauer: Really.
Hauk: Yeah. And perhaps some night we could maybe get together and swap humorous stories, for fun.
Cronauer: Oh, why not? Maybe play a couple of Tennessee Ernie Ford records, that'd be a hoot.
Hauk: That's a joke, right?
Cronauer: Maybe.
Hauk: I get it.

emily said...

I saw some "Freshman" shoutouts in the MeFi thread, I am not alone! :P

Brando: "You're gonna pick up the car, a...what is it?"
Kirby: "A se-DAN de VILLE. It's a type of Cadillac."
Brando: "This is a type of Cadillac."